Thursday, May 26, 2016

3 Peas in Pod


This is the first vegetable that I crochet earlier this year, requested by a teacher who works with special needs children.  She showed me a picture of it taken from the web and I managed to find the pattern.  

These cute little Sweet Peas are by Ana Paula Rimoli and can be in her book Amigurumi Two! : Crocheted Toys for Me and You and Baby Too.  She has a lot of cute amigurumi in the book, you should really check it out if you want to make some cuddly bear or robots for your kids.


Purchase the book here

So, this teacher works with special needs children who are either austic, physically disabled or have speech difficulty.  In order to make communication easier she thought of these peas with different facial expressions, thus the Angry, Happy and Sad face, the children  could just hold the pea that best reflect their emotion at that moment.  Genius idea right!    As the teacher has no idea what is a suitable size, I made them big, as shown in the photo below.

This project was made using 100% acrylic yarn, I used safety eyes so there is no fear of them fall off the peas and ended up somewhere they shouldn't be (like in a child's mouth/nostril/throat/tummy), unless you really tug it with all your might and risk tearing the peas up.  I crocheted the cheeks too, didn't want to use fabric color nor felt for it.  Mouths are sewn on using 2ply yarns.


A couple of weeks later, this teacher contacted me again because one of the mum saw the peas and wanted it for her child.  She requested them to be of smaller size and with orange hats for all 3 peas.  I downsized them and these peas are about a child's palm size so it's easier for her to grasp and hold or even play with them.  The mum mentioned that the pod will be with her child every where  therefore I added a zip to keep the peas in the pod and a strap with button so that she can hang it on the bag etc.  Oh, did I mention that this was supposed to be a birthday gift for her child? *smile*


I love how my craft helps people in so many ways, makes me feel great every time I start a project.

I have not list this item in my Etsy store yet, if you are interested to get one, simply drop a comment in this blog post or send me an email to shopofcuiros(at)gmail(dot)com.

Disclaimer : This post contains affiliated links.


No comments:

Post a Comment